Everyone loves convenience. There’s nothing more convenient than just reaching for a wipe and cleaning up a mess. But I always hate throwing them away- it feels so wasteful. So I came up with a solution: reusable cleaning wipes! These wipes are totally green, effective, and washable! Plus they dispense like a dream. I can’t get enough of them. AND the solution that I use to make the wipes cleaning and disinfecting only costs 50 cents.
So I’m ending green cleaning month with a bang! Today I’m sharing with you my favorite green cleaning recipe this month. It is kind of a combo cleaning recipe/ super easy DIY that you green fans will LOVE!
I knew if I wanted my green cleaning wipes to be convenient enough for me, they would have to dispense like kleenex- with the next wipe automatically popping out as you pull the first one out. Well, I’ve made it happen. These reusable cleaning wipes have all the convenience and effectiveness I was looking for! (and if you love convenience… you’ll love my odor eliminator tabs!)
Whats in them you ask? Just great green ingredients that clean, disinfect, and won’t harm your health.
- Rubbing alcohol: disinfects, prevents bacteria or fungal growth on wipes when not in use, gives a streak free clean
- Borax: kills bacteria and fungi, dissolves dirt and grime
- Baking Soda: dissolves dirt and grime, deodorizes icky smells
- Dish soap: for a little extra bang and dirt dissolving power
- Essential oils: (optional) for fragrance (I used orange)
- Microfiber cloths: to use as the actual wipes
- Tupperware large enough to fit your folded wipes
- A knife: to cut the top of your tupperware so cloths can dispense
Okay! So here is a graphic explaining how I folded the cloths properly. I learned the method from Measuring Flower. I alternated yellow and blue colors to help you understand how they fold.
Essentially, the key is to overlap cloths. You should always place another cloth before folding the one before it, alternating which side you place them on.
And if that graphic doesn’t work for you, I also made a video! This was my first attempt at a video so I hope you like it!
I swear it is simpler than it looks! Once you understand the pattern, folding will be a breeze.
The next step is to cut this shape into the top of your selected tupperware:
I used my trusty cutco scissors to do it, but a knife would work as well. If you have a tendency to scrape yourself you might want to make the corners rounded, but the way they dispense shouldn’t leave you having to stick your fingers in it.
Okay, now that you know how to fold the cloths properly, I’ll share the all purpose cleaning solution I use for them!
DIY Reusable Cleaning Wipes
- 1.5 cups hot water
- 3 tablespoons rubbing alcohol
- 1/2 tsp borax
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 5-10 drops essential oils (optional)
- Add the baking soda and borax to the hot water and stir until they dissolve. Next, add the alcohol and the essential oils
- Pour the cleaning solution over the reusable wipes while in their tupperware container
- Wipe away, and just toss in the washer when you’re done
These wipes are seriously my favorite DIY! I think they are BRILLIANT and they have been working so well for me. I love that I can just pull one up when I need to, and then just toss it in the hamper when I’m done.
I love convenience. I really think green cleaning should be convenient, because if it isn’t, you will fall back on bad habits.
If you love convenience, you’ll also love my homemade dusting spray which prevents buildup of additional dust and makes less cleaning time for you!
I’ve been using these cleaning wipes so much, I think I’m going to need to get a bigger tupperware for it. And even more cloths! I love that they just pop up when you’re ready.
If I had an empty wet wipes container, I would definitely use that. So if you do have one- it’s a great solution for this DIY.
What do you think? Let me know how making your own reusable cleaning wipes go for you!