There’s always at least one place in your house where you just quite can’t get rid of the smell, whether that’s the fridge, or your garbage can, or that one cabinet that always smells funky. Sprays and perfumes only mask the smell, and you really want to get rid of it. The best thing to do is use something to absorb the odor! That’s what these homemade odor eliminator tabs are good for!
Sure you can use an open box of baking soda, but that isn’t really cost effective, it’s kind of wasteful, and it’s hard to remember to change them out. These tabs are much less expensive, at only 30 cents a tab! They are great at eliminating odors, and they are multipurpose! After the odor absorbing is done, you can use them for some all purpose scrubbing around the home.
You won’t believe how simple these are to make. Simple, green, inexpensive, and effective! All of my favorite things in a green cleaning product. A perfect addition to green cleaning month!
I like to explain the purpose of each ingredient in my recipes.
- Baking Soda: Absorbs odors effectively, and is natural, safe, and inexpensive.
- Water: Holds the tabs together
- Essential oils (optional): For scent
I love how bright and cheerful they look in the silicone baking cups! I love my silicone cups because they are dishwasher safe, reusable, and cute.
Seriously, this may be the easiest green cleaning recipe you make.
Homemade Odor Eliminator Tabs (makes 6 tabs)
- 1 cup baking soda
- 1/4 cup water
- 5-10 drops essential oils (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F
- Line muffin tray with silicone baking cups. Mix baking soda and water in a bowl into a paste.
- Transfer equal parts baking soda paste into each baking cup, and press down firmly
- Cook for 30 minutes, turn oven off, and leave in oven until they reach room temperature (to prevent cracking)
- Add drops of essential oils to the top of each tab once cooled
- Place wherever they need to absorb smell and let them work their magic!
We have one cabinet in our house that just never seems to get rid of that woody smell. We bought it on craigslist and even though we left the doors open for a week or so after we bought it, we couldn’t get rid of that smell. So we really need these in there! They definitely help, but still need to be changed out every few months or so.
They’re also perfect for the fridge. I hated leaving an entire box of baking soda in there- there are so many other things I like to use my baking soda for! So this is more efficient and effective in my opinion.
I love these homemade odor eliminator tabs! Let me know how they go for you!
supplies used in this post