Ah, bathroom cleaning. No one likes to clean toilets- it’s just icky. But unfortunately we have to! So if we are going to clean the toilet, we might as well make it fast and easy. This awesome homemade toilet bowl cleaner is green, natural, effective, and takes so little work to use. It is so easy it doesn’t feel like work at all.
After all, who wants to use bathroom cleaners with icky ingredients that make you feel dizzy? before I switched to making my own cleaners, I used to have to take breaks from cleaning, especially in the bathroom. The scents and fumes from the store-bought cleaners would make me feel dizzy! Well, that doesn’t happen anymore!
So if you love green cleaning, and you want a clean home, this green homemade toilet bowl cleaner is for you! If you’re interested, you should also check out my other green cleaning recipes for green cleaning month in March! While you’re cleaning your toilet, you might as well get those tubs and tiles too! But for now, enjoy this awesome toilet cleaner.
I always like to explain why I use each ingredient and why they work in the recipe:
- Borax: disinfects, counteracts hard water stains, loosens dirt, is an alkaline compound, which works well in combination with the acidity of vinegar
- Vinegar: sanitizes, loosens dirt, is acidic, which works well in combination with the alkalinity of borax
- Essential oils (optional): for scent, and depending on the oil can have other properties as well (I used lemon in this recipe- I just love that lemon fresh smell!)
All right, wondering how to do it? It’s simple enough!
Homemade Toilet Bowl Cleaner
- 1/4 cup borax
- 1 cup vinegar
- 5-10 drops essential oils (optional)
- Measure out the appropriate amounts of borax and vinegar. Add the essential oils to the vinegar.
- First pour the borax in the toilet, then the vinegar
- Let sit for a few minutes, then scrub with a toilet brush. Easy peasy!
Check out that shiny clean toilet! Just how I like them. Now if only they stayed that clean forever…
Well, since that isn’t going to happen, this is the next best thing. I love how easy this solution is to use, and I love when I know exactly what I’m using to clean with. Green cleaning rocks!
Let me know how your homemade toilet bowl cleaner works for you!
supplies used in this post