I know that most of us have dealt with some scalp issues from time to time… and they certainly aren’t pleasant. But neither are the harsh ingredients in most dandruff shampoos and products. The second ingredient in Head and Shoulders shampoo is a well known skin irritant (sodium lauryl sulfate)! Why should a product that is meant to help deal with dandruff and irritation be including ingredients that can INCREASE irritation? I say, stick with a simpler solution. This scalp soothing mask has only 3 ingredients that are all healthy, green, inexpensive, and soothing.
I decided to make a soothing scalp product because my fiancé gets scalp irritation all the time. His scalp always gets itchy and scabby and dry. In general he has very dry skin and needs to use tons of moisturizer. But you don’t exactly put moisturizer on your scalp!
So I combined these three ingredients that I knew would soothe and moisturize his scalp and the difference was instantaneous! Overnight, he had so much relief. Of course one night of using the product wont solve the problem, but he couldn’t believe how much better it felt after only one use. And he keeps using it and getting more relief! This one is a winner, guys. Did I mention it only costs one dollar to make?
I’ve mentioned that this scalp soother has three ingredients a few times now. I bet you’re wondering what they are. Well, these are the ingredients and the reasons I chose them:
- Aloe Vera Gel: Aloe is naturally full of the anti-inflammatory chemical B-sitosterol and vitamin E. It is a great lightweight natural moisturizer.
- Vegetable Glycerin: Glycerin is a natural humectant, meaning it draws moisture to the skin. It is hypo-allergenic and increases the skin’s absorption of oxygen.
- Lavender Essential Oil: Lavender is known as one of the best essential oils for skin. It is anti-inflammatory, antibacterial, and antifungal. It soothes irritation and helps stimulate blood flow to the skin.
And it couldn’t be easier to make.
- 2 tablespoons high quality Aloe Vera Gel
- 2 tablespoons Vegetable Glycerin
- 5-10 drops Lavender Essential Oil
- Mix all ingredients together
- Store in an air tight jar. For extra relief and longer shelf life, you can store it in the fridge, but it isn’t necessary.
- To use: apply to irritated spots or over entire scalp, massaging and rubbing in with your fingertips. Leave on overnight and wash off in the morning. (You can choose not to wash it off, but it will make your hair look greasy)
You really don’t need much of this stuff for it to work. In this picture, I applied it over my entire scalp and some of my hair, because glycerin and aloe also make a great moisturizing hair mask. Let me tell you, this stuff feels GOOD. It is immediately soothing. To apply, just massage into irritated spots with your fingertips, and let it do its magic overnight. Then, just wash it off in the morning.
I love the stuff. Great for the scalp, great for the hair.
So if you have scalp dryness, itchiness, or dandruff, make sure to try this soothing scalp mask out. It is effective, inexpensive, and easy to make. You really can’t go wrong. Try making it yourself and let me know how it goes!