Every time I make a new beauty recipe I can’t believe how awesome it turns out. And this one is no exception. Man, it is incredible. It is so silky and luxurious. Also, did I mention, it smells like chocolate? I can’t stop smelling my skin after putting it on. It’s pretty hard to keep myself from eating it out of the jar.
Store bought lotions can smell good too, but they can also be expensive and often have harmful chemicals and preservatives in them. Just take a look at the 13 worst toxic ingredients to avoid in cosmetics list I compiled. Sure makes you want to stick to natural products. Everything in this lotion is beneficial for your skin. And it only cost $4.02 to make.
Like I said, this lotion is super luxurious. It is an incredible moisturizer and a little goes a long way. And it was super easy to make. Seriously, why even bother with store bought lotions?
All the ingredients in this lotion are good for your skin:
- Cocoa butter: high in antioxidants, great emollient (prevents loss of moisture), some natural UV protection, high concentrations of nutrients our skin needs (get an organic unrefined cocoa butter for the full benefits- this is the one I use)
- Almond oil: deep moisturizer, soothes irritation, reduces dark circles
- Coconut oil: moisturizes skin more efficiently than water or petroleum based lotions, naturally antibacterial, full of antioxidants and nutrients your skin needs (make sure to get an organic, non-refined, cold pressed oil to get the full benefits)
- Beeswax: locks in moisture, protects skin against damaging elements, antioxidant, anti-bacterial, and anti-inflammatory
- Vitamin E oil: antioxidant, natural moisturizer, anti-inflammatory, helps preserve shelf life of lotion
So, here is how you make this awesome chocolatey lotion:
- 1/4 cup plus one tablespoon almond oil
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1.5 tablespoons beeswax
- 2 tablespoons cocoa butter
- 2-3 drops or 1 capsule vitamin E oil
- essential oils (optional- I added tea tree oil to increase antibacterial properties and red raspberry seed oil to increase UV protection)
- Mix all ingredients except essential oils together and heat in a double boiler
- Heat until the ingredients are all melted and well combined- they should be a nice warm gold color
- If you are going to add essential oils, pour the melted mixture into a mixing bowl. Let cool for an hour and then mix in the oils. Then add the lotion to the container you intend to store it in
- If you are not going to add essential oils, pour the melted mixture in the jar you intend to store the lotion in. This lotion is thicker than lotions in pump bottles and will not go through a pump. Let cool until it reaches room temperature
- Lotion up!
I’m telling you, your kitchen is going to smell like a bakery when you make this. It is heavenly. And when it’s done, just remind yourself that it is not food! Resist the temptation to eat it. Because you definitely will be tempted.
When I finished this lotion I asked Lars to smell it and he said it smells like cookies or cake. Who can complain about that? Certainly not me!
Cocoa butter is also supposed to be able to treat eczema and other skin rashes. So not only does it smell like chocolate and moisturize your skin, it can help reduce inflammation and irritation.
My skin is so silky smooth. And smells like chocolate. And has no harmful chemicals on it. And all for the price of $4.02. I don’t think you can beat that.
Try this recipe out yourself, and let me know what you think!
Not ready to invest in ingredients yet but want to try this lotion out? You can get it in my etsy shop!