I don’t wear makeup every day, but when I do, I like to take it off naturally. One of the things I’ve learned on my journey to a more natural life is that simple is almost always better. That’s definitely the case for this easy, 5 minute, 1 ingredient natural makeup remover!
Your eyes and the skin around them are so sensitive, so you really don’t want to be messing with ingredients that can be harmful. A lot of common ingredients in makeup removers include propylene glycol, sodium laurel sulfate, mineral oil, fragrances, preservatives, and artificial colors. These ingredients can range from mild skin irritants to full on carcinogens!
Oil is actually great at braking down and taking off your makeup without stripping your skin. It cleanses gently while also moisturizing. Who wouldn’t want that?
This makeup remover has only one ingredient:
You could use any kind of oil to take off your makeup, but I chose sunflower oil for a few reasons. First, it is inexpensive. Second, it is non-comedogenic, which means it won’t clog your pores. And third, it is liquid at room temperature, so it will absorb into cotton pads really easily.
I’ve also used coconut oil to take off my eye makeup, but when it comes to removing makeup from my face, I like to stick to something non-comedogenic, because coconut oil makes me break out. This may not be the case for everyone, but I like to stay on the safe side.
Alright, ready to make it?
Homemade Natural Makeup Remover
- an airtight jar
- cotton pads
- 1/4- 1/2 cup sunflower oil
- First, sanitize your jar by washing with hot water and soap or washing out with rubbing alcohol, and let the jar dry completely
- Put the cotton pads in the jar, and pour the sunflower oil over them slowly. If you’re using a tall jar like me, you may want to put in half the cotton pads and pour half the oil, then do the same for the second half
- Screw the lid on tightly and store in a cool dry place
- To use- simply remove one of the cotton pads and rub to remove your makeup, then dispose of the pad
Another reason I love sunflower oil is that it feels so light. It really doesn’t feel oily to me at all- I’m always amazed at how great it is at taking off my makeup!
I haven’t bought makeup remover from a store in I don’t know how long- this stuff is so great there really isn’t any reason to. And it keeps me nice and moisturized.
So, what do you think? Let me know how your homemade natural makeup remover goes for you!