If you read as many pinterest posts on the best organizing tips as me, you’ll know that one of the important things to do to keep yourself organized it to take advantage of all spaces. Even ones that don’t seem obvious. A lot of people keep things under their beds, but if you’re anything like me you might just end up shoving things down there that you don’t use very often. Making drawers for under your bed can make your under bed storage more functional and useful. You can even use them for clothes and replace a dresser with them!
I was inspired by a tutorial from Martha Stewart. This is an awesome easy DIY that you can do in 20 minutes or less. All you need are a few simple supplies:
- A box or bin at least 2″ shorter than the height of the bottom of the bed frame
- appropriately sized casters (I used these 4 Pcs 1″ Plastic Wheel Rectangle Top Plate Fixed Swivel Caster Set)
- screws for the casters (the shorter the better) and a screwdriver
- Line the wheels up in each corner
- Use the screwdriver to screw the casters in place
- Turn it over and admire your handiwork
Now here is where I ran into a problem. I knew there would be one because the shortest screws we could find were 1/2 inch which was longer than the base of the bin. So the screws ended up sticking through the bottom of the drawer.
The obvious answer for this would have been to reinforce the corners with thin pieces of wood, but I didn’t have any and I wanted this to be a 20 minutes or less DIY! So I had to get resourceful. And what I did have was my trusty glue gun and an extra old tshirt that my hedgehog sometimes sleeps in.
I cut up the shirt and folded the edges under, and glued it to the bottom of the drawer. Problem solved. Now whatever I keep in the drawer won’t get snagged on the screws.
Now you’ve got an awesome new storage solution you made yourself. Pretty great.